Wednesday, May 21, 2008

10 Things I've Done


I could give you a blow-by-blow of the weekend but it would consist mainly of squeeing, laughing, eating, squeeing some more, laughing some more and eating some more. Rocki was brilliant on Saturday and had us all in the palm of her hand. And she was worried she'd be hearing crickets. Ha! Big congrats to Heart of Dixie, the luncheon coordinator Kathy Bone and all the worker bees for a job well done. I think we get a week off before we start working on the 2009 luncheon.

Funniest part of the weekend? Going to a nice Italian restaurant for dinner Saturday night and seeing "Rabbit Three Ways" on the chef's special menu. ACK!

Since I'm struggling for a blog topic, I went hunting for stuff to blog about and came up with this:

10 Things I've Done You Probably Haven't


1. In 1979, the DH, #1 son and I went through Checkpoint Charlie and visited East Berlin. It was scary but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

2. In 1980 I rode a camel at the Pyramids in Egypt. That too was scary cause camels are nasty creatures, but again, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.



3. I had a letter to the editor published in Cosmopolitan magazine.

4. I met Jean Stapleton (Edith Bunker on All in the Family) while I was on vacation in Alaska. We were on the same glacier boat excursion. Also on board was Betty Buckley (the original "glamour puss" in Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats and the stepmom on Eight is Enough). You can play Six Degrees of Separation with Jean Stapleton and Betty Buckley. Anybody want to take a guess? *

5. I gave birth the first time in a hospital that at one time was an R&R facility for Nazi soldiers and the second time in a hospital that was once a house of ill repute.

6. I've eaten roasted elk once. I've eaten escargot and alligator too.

7. I had a former Playboy Bunny as a college PE teacher. That's how I learned to do the cha-cha-cha. She taught the ballroom dancing class, only then it was called "social dancing."

8. I've been to the Olympic games -- Atlanta 1996.

9. I married a man who is related to both Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone.

10. I was in Andy Warhol's disco, The Electric Circus, in New York City in March 1970, when it was bombed by a group of radical dissidents.

So tell me what you've done that I haven't.

* Those folks who play Six Degrees with Jean Stapleton and Betty Buckley and correctly connect them within six steps will be entered in a drawing for an autographed copy of "The Ex-Girlfriends' Club" by fabu Playground friend Rhonda Nelson.

19 comments:

M.V.Freeman said...

So I did get that picture right....! (ok, warning to all; digital and I don't necessarily walk hand in hand).

PM; loved the things you have experienced. Its amazing the moments in life we have.

lets see; what I've done you may have not done: eaten ostrich (good stuff; very rich!)

LOL

Angel said...

Gone to Scotland! :) (Though you've still been tons of places I haven't)

I have an identical twin sister.

Growing up on a farm, I helped birth goats and milked the mommas.

Hmmm.... that's about it. My life hasn't been wild and exciting, until I got hooked up with this group. ;) But marrying my hubby young and building our family has been an adventure in itself.

Angel

Problem Child said...

Well, I listened to Rhonda Nelson curse on the back of a horse for over an hour...

Had my feet operated on two more times than you...

(and I don't ever play 6 Degrees--I suck at it.)

Kira Sinclair - AKA Instigator said...

I can barely remember my name most days let alone 6 other degrees of people away from someone else...

Hmmm, I've had a private tour of the papal apartments at the Vatican. Let me tell you, those Swiss Guard are intimidating I don't care that they do look like clowns.

Instigator

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Let's see...

I've seen the sunset behind the Alps from the top of the Fortress in Salzburg, Austria.

I've kayaked in 1000 ft deep water off the coast of Alaska.

I've swam with dolphins.

I've shouted profanities in a bad French accent off the roof of a Scottish castle while clinking coconuts together.

I slept in a cardboard box in 30 degree weather to raise money and awareness for the homeless.

I'm also ever so slightly ashamed to admit I've eaten kangaroo. Tastes like those steak fingers from the elementary school cafeteria.

Rhonda Nelson said...

Oh, this should be fun....

1.) I've gotten my head stuck in the railing around the top of The Peabody Hotel and scratched all the skin off the backs of my ears trying to get out.

2.) I've cursed while riding a horse in Scotland. :-)

3.) I liberated a lightbulb from the Sears Tower.

4.) I've walked through tree tops in Canada and took a zip line down to safety.

5.) My kayak came perilously close to mating manatees in Florida.

6.) I've riden the Maid of the Mist with my slicker on wrong side out.

7.) Mowed over an innocent bystander in my kayak on the Trukee River.

8.) Enjoyed the beautiful Red Rocks in Sedona. (Without mishap. Shocking, I know. :-)

9.) Worn a caftan and Crocs to go buy firewood.

10.) Saw Hugh Grant at Uno's in Chicago. (Pals Deb Webb and Sabrah Agee were there as well.)

Playground Monitor said...

Are we seeing a kayak theme with Rhonda? ::grin::

I'm off to do something else you may not have done -- have a mammogram. Not the most delightful procedure in the world, however for me it's never been the horror many people say it is. But it can be a life saver. So when your doctor tells you it's time to begin having this test, just do it.

PM

Anonymous said...

PM, that's hysterical that you found rabbit on the menu at an Italian restaurant in light of your recent bunny ordeals. LOL.

Wow, you've done some interesting things. Maybe the most unusual for me was camping across from a calving glacier at the Copper River in Alaska.

Sherry Werth said...

Oh my - I need to get a life! You guys have visited and seen some wonderful places...(sigh)..maybe one day.

Nothing really exciting for me. I grew up a south Georgia country girl and farmers don't travel. Growing up I had a skunk, deer, squirrels and rabbits (sorry PM - I said the R word) for pets. The deer liked to come to the back door and watch TV through the screen.

I was once a secretary for Billy Carter. He was a super nice man!

As teens we would climb the fire tower at night and sit on the platform and talk for hours.

That's all I can think of for now.. not enough caffeine yet.
Oh, and I have been snipe hunting.

Lynn Raye Harris said...

Ooh, this is a fun one!

1) I've eaten dinner in the Madrid restaurant Hemingway made famous in THE SUN ALSO RISES.

2) I've been inside the Kremlin.

3) I've flown on Aeroflot.

4) I've had dinner in a medieval castle on the Rhine -- several times.

5) I hiked up a Korean mountain to see a giant stone buddha in a cave.

6) I've ridden in a Huey Cobra helicopter.

7) I've been propositioned by an old guy in a trenchcoat in the Luxembourg Gardens in Paris. Tres funny.

8) I've ridden a train across Europe by myself, and also driven across Europe by myself.

9) I've had a personal tour, by boat, of Pearl Harbor that was given by the base commander.

10) Saw Richard Simmons, in all his banana yellow-shirted glory, sitting on a closed market stall in Venice's fish market.

Maven Linda said...

1. I've had a face-to-face encounter with a black panther . . . in my front yard.

2. I've been kidnapped. Almost. Post office workers saved me.

3. I've fought a forest fire.

4. I've put a man in a large cardboard box and taped it shut. He was skinny but wiry, as the saying goes. He was also unwilling. Left him there for half an hour.

5. I've posed a lifelike naked mannequin on my boss's couch while he was out to lunch.

6. I've listened to the bagpipes on Culloden moor.

7. I was in New York City on 9/11.

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

I'm giving myself a headache trying to do the 6 degrees thing and that's WITH imdb.com. Forget it. Unless I use some loose corrolation like Love Boat or Law & Order, which almost every actor has been on (but not in the same episode), I'm stumped.

So, Linda, how did you get the man into the box?

Andrea Laurence AKA Smarty Pants said...

Oooh! Oooh! I got one! I know I don't win, but I had to try anyway.

- Jean Stapleton was in You've Got Mail with Tom Hanks
- Tom Hanks was in Forrest Gump with Robin Wright Penn
- Robin Wright Penn was in The Princess Bride with Cary Elwes
- Cary Elwes was in Robin Hood: Men in Tights with Dick Van Patten
- Dick Van Patten was on 8 is Enough with Betty Buckley!

Maggie said...

I'm coming out of lurk to play.

-Betty Buckley was in "Carrie" with John Travolta.
-John Travolta was in "Michael" with Jean Stapleton!

Debby Giusti said...

Marilyn, I just posted a blog about the wonderful HOD Readers' Luncheon and all the great folks who made me feel right at home! Thanks everyone at the Playground for working so hard to make it all so special.

If you have time, stop by www.ladiesofsuspense.blogspot.com
and say hello!

Maven Linda said...

SP -- I just sort of wrestled him into it. I took him by surprise, got him off balance, and in he went.

Anonymous said...

Cant think of anything. But you certainly did some diff things.

Pat L

Anonymous said...

PM, just remember your Mama started doing things that you've never done before you were born. (i.e. Had a pilot's license before she had a driver's license.

She also hired a belly dancer to dance at the local Rotary Club meeting on her boss's birthday(well, I had help on this one.)

Now you see where you got your adventurous spirit!

Luv Ya! Your Mother

C.J. Redwine said...

I've electrocuted myself on a fence designed to repel large barnyard animals and keep them in their rightful place.

=D